The right memory care community can give your loved one the compassionate, reliable, knowledgeable care that they need. Deciding between different communities can be daunting, however. They often offer a range of amenities and services, and it’s important that you find one that gives your loved one exceptional care and gives you peace of mind. One of the best ways to assess your top options is to visit them in person. Head into each visit prepared by reviewing our list of questions to ask when touring a memory care community.
Questions to Ask When Touring a Memory Care Community
Even if you think it’s unnecessary, before visiting a memory care community, we encourage you to brainstorm and bring along a list of questions that are important to you. In the moment, people often forget to ask one thing or another. While you can always give the staff a call afterward, it’s helpful to ask as many things as possible during the tour because the answers may be enhanced by walking through a certain part of the community or meeting a particular staff member.
Every resident is unique, so it’s important that you carefully consider what aspects of memory care you’re most curious about. But to help you get started, we’ve compiled a list of questions that many people find helpful when touring communities:
- What levels of care does the community provide?
- What types of personal assistance can residents expect?
- What is daily life like for the residents? What are the daily activities?
- Can I see a calendar of activities and events?
- What types of training has the staff received?
- Can my loved one stay here through the end of life, or will they need to move if their care becomes too extensive?
- What is the policy for handling medical emergencies?
- What is the monthly rate for housing and care? What services are included in that cost? Are there any additional costs I should know about?
- What meals are provided? Is it restaurant-style or family-style? Are snacks available throughout the day? How are special diets and unique nutrition needs handled? Can we try some of the food?
- How often are housekeeping and laundry services provided?
- What sorts of social activities does the community offer?
- What is the ratio of staff to residents during the day? What about at night?
- How is the community secured?
- How do you communicate with families about a resident’s well-being?
In addition, remember to listen to your gut as you tour the community.
Say hello to some of the residents. Do they appear content and engaged? What do they have to say about the community? Take a look at the staff as well. Do they appear caring, knowledgeable, and respectful? Do they have a good camaraderie with the residents? Do they quickly respond to residents’ needs? We also encourage you to explore all of the indoor and outdoor areas. How does the community look, smell, sound, and feel? Is it brightly lit and kept clean? Do you and your loved one feel comfortable there? Finally—and most importantly—does the community’s philosophy of care ring true to you?
Clearly, there are a lot of questions to ask when it’s time to locate a memory care community for a loved one. Take your time making this important decision, and don’t be afraid to call the resident care coordinator with follow-up questions.
Are you looking for an assisted living, memory support, and physician-directed nursing care community in Kansas City? Check out The Piper. Our team of experienced and compassionate professionals ensures that residents feel secure and comfortable right away. At our warm and welcoming community, which is truly a “home within a home,” we foster social interaction, engagement, and the right amount of care. Our residents always come first. To learn more about our services or to schedule a tour, please give us a call at 913-361-5136 or contact us online.